Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bunday: slightly less blah

Today's daily bunny bunny was super cute:

I did finally get out and get groceries today, and although I've been thinking about meatloaf for a week or so, I decided to go with something equally comfort foody, but substantially easier to make. Despite the fact that it's totally something invented by the 1970s, pizza casserole is totally a delicious throwback to my childhood.  I've had people tell me before that it's "just something my mom made up," but the internet tells me differently.  Google comes up with piles of recipes, none of which really match the one I know. So:

  • Like a pound of ground beef (this would have been Maui beef, but WF had a "eating local" thing today, and sold out)
  • About half-ish of an onion
  • 1c macaroni (I used the whole wheat one so I could claim that this totally not healthy meal was healthy)
  • 10 mushrooms. Maybe a half pound? 
  • ~1/8lb pepperoni
  • ~1/8lb salami
  • Deli/box/thingy of pizza sauce from the WF make-a-pizza area (14oz)
  • Cheese
Saute the onion until translucent (in the super big 12" nonstick skillet), and then add the beef and brown it.  While that's happening, boil the mac.  I added the mushrooms once the meat was cooked, and quickly sauteed them to get some of the moisture out.  Choppy choppy the cured meats, and then add to the meat with the pasta and pizza sauce. Mix mix mix, and then bake for a half hour or so at 350.  Remove, add the cheese (I used a hefty dose of pecorino romano to get that fragrant sheepy goodness, topped with slices of provolone), and then return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, as I was too hungry to bother today. Besides, i can't think of anything that rhymes with "Monday" yet, so I won't have an animal picture to post then anyway.  

Since this makes like six servings, I'll probably be eating it for the rest of the week.  Part of the idea behind this was to give me something that I could make and then eat for the rest of the week without having to come up with new stuff or cook too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment