Thursday, September 6, 2018

Thursday: Things are so much simpler when you use things you're familiar with.

Also junk mail.
I've spent a good portion of the week trying to understand how to "properly" access a database with the defined tools.  It was suggested to me today that that might be overly complicating a script that's designed to be a quick patch between the current codebase and a near-future better one.  With that, I spent a bit more than an hour adding all the functionality needed, another thirty minutes short-circuiting some type checks to force what I want through, and then another hour or so checking and doing some quick refactoring.

That means the "should take about half the month" problem is effectively solved, modulo "style" and "snek-like-itude".  Also convincing everyone that my type is better than their type.  But the proof-of-concept is done.


  • So, "we don't know"?
  • I just don't see how this is better than directly writing SQL.  Write the SQL, and then have stored procedures or some other canned stuff to do the most common things.  But keep the SQL stuff visible and active.  I hate the "abstract everything away" idea.
  • Because I was reminded of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment