Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday: Not really an adventure.

Today's plan was to go get sushi, then see a movie.  How hard can that be?

Turns out it's also "sidewalk sale" day at the mall.  Sidewalk sale day is the day that all stores put things they would be more ok with being stolen outside the store, on sale, and then put a person to watch all those things, because although they may be "more ok" with it, they'd really prefer nothing get stolen.  

It also makes going to the mall an exercise in not killing everyone, because the fourth time you nearly run into someone who has decided to come to a sudden stop to look at some shit on a rack that's turned the ready cramped corridor into a fire hazard and now I'm so far into this sentence that I've totally forgotten how I started it, but I don't care, and as a side point, I'm not sorry I called you "in the fucking way," because you were.  In the way.  The fucking way.

I should have known there was going to be trouble when the exit ramp was backed up.  Onto the highway.  Or, to be technical, onto the shoulder of the highway, because some moron decided that was the way to fuck up traffic the most.

In any case, I went to put in my name for sushi, only to discover that with the current wait (30 minutes) and the current time (1:15), I'd be unable to make the movie (1:50).  That meant I had to switch to the backup plan, which was to wander the mall to kill thirty minutes, and then get some theater food.

Remember when I talked about Thinkertoys, and the people getting arrested there?  These are the "goth jigsaw puzzles" I was referencing.  I am completely baffled by who would buy these.  I keep coming up with "time travelling kids from 1992".
 Then I looked at the cooking ware store, which really has oddly specific things.
This seems unnecessary.  You'd have to underfill them to make sure you didn't get big puffy muffin tops, so you're left with tiny kitty face muffin butts.  Plus, you'd have to make like 99 batches with most recipes.

Now this I would have bought if I didn't have a day of not wanting to carry a package around already planned.  This is obviously something that has a thousand uses.
Then, due to this link that I mentioned on Tuesday, I went to go see Frozen.  The short review is that this is the best Disney movie I think I've seen ever.

Looking at this list (and excluding the Ghibli movies, as that's just cheating), I don't see anything else that really even comes close.  A lot of the reviews I've seen talk about "oh this is as good as the Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast."  No.  Those aren't bad movies, but not really this level.  The characters in Frozen actually seem like real people, not some sort of caricature of how people act.

Of the points in that link, I'm on board and happy with all but the first one.  Yes, they panic and isolate Elsa, which isn't really a great idea, but then they die (spoiler, not spoiler.  This is a Disney movie.  How many of those don't have dead parents?  Mulan and B&B.  I almost added Lilo and Stitch, but she's Lilo's sister.).  In the absence of any new orders, everything just kept going the same way.

I continue to not unerstand why people leave before the end of the credits.  Pretty much every movie has secret scenes now.

Anyway, everyone should see this, and now I see why the internets have been talking about it for three months.

Then sushi.
Plus ticket stub to make this not just the same boring sushi photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment