Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday: Dude, that's a bad idea

I mean, that's clearly a skeleton with a face strapped to its head with a skull mask over the face.  He's not a very sneaky skeleton.  You're some sort of priest or bishop or something.  You can dispell that guy.  It's like you haven't read the PHB at all.  You've got a damn polearm too, that has to do at least 2d4 damage.

  • Japan. Not giving any fucks since forever.
  • Fictional Japan. Not giving any fucks since forever.
  • Cats.  Not giving any fucks about property rights, because they're goddamned communists.
  • Pokemon.  Sometimes giving fucks, other times actively removing fucks from existance.
Serious links.
  • Damn it, animal planet.  I'd like to make a fantasy puppy bowl team, except I can't because it's run through facebook..
  • I saw the original video, and nearly made a blog post stating "this is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure infinite series don't work like that."  However, I sat down, realized that infinite series is one of the things I always hated, and besides, even I kind of don't care about math that much.  Still, nice to see that it was totally bullshit, although the Riemann zeta function proof in the link in the comments is kind of interesting.  I did really like complex analysis.
Funny story about complex analysis:  I took that class spring semester senior year, as I needed a filler math class and PDE didn't fit into my schedule (I think.  I don't think I ever took that).  I'd taken a grad level math methods in physics that fall, and a large chunk of that was complex analysis.  Anyway, I get to class expecting that it'll be a more in-depth look at things, probably spending more time doing proofs and shit like that.  Because, hey, it's a 400 level math class, it's probably full of math majors.

It turns out that a lot of math majors are actually math-education majors.  Like "I'm going to teach high school math" instead of "I'm going to get paid very poorly to sit and work out esoteric proofs."

So the very first day of class, we have to go over complex numbers.  Entirely.  How to add them.  How to subtract them.  How to multiply and divide so you again get a standard complex number of form z = x + i y and not some z = (a + i b)/(c + i d).  A whole hour spent explaining this.  There was a EE major in that class too, and other than the "but we use j" wrongness, she seemed to have the same thought of "wtf is wrong with these people."  The professor was fairly young, and I have the suspicion that that first week of class destroyed him.

About the second or third week, I decided that I'd had enough, and went to his office hours to tell him that I was going to stay in the class formally, but I was unlikely to be attending any more lecture sessions.  I show up, expecting it'll be like a quick meeting, only to see THE ENTIRE FUCKING CLASS standing in the hallway waiting.  Apparently they'd been going to all of the office hours, and sitting and doing their homework with him.  We all sit in a circle in this tiny little office, and he's going around and having each person ask a question at a time about the homework.  When it got to my turn, I didn't have a question, so I had to kind of awkwardly say (in front of the ENTIRE FUCKING CLASS), "Oh, my homework is done," [give it to him] "I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't going to be coming to class unless we're having a quiz because we're going super slow, and I already know most of the stuff we've been doing from other classes."  Boom.  Left the office hours.

I know I got a 4.0 in that class, and I really hope that he didn't use outlier rejection when he made the curve for that class.

No comments:

Post a Comment