Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wednesday: I need a tag for images that I'll likely want to use again in the future.

That would save me lots of time trying to find those images over again.

First though: I forgot to post this Pikachu from Saturday:
There's a dancing banana too, but that wasn't the point.  The shrimp udon is kind of cute, too.
Anyway, I saw this link on fark about how mayo is "king of condiments," not ketchup.
If you look at their data, it looks like mayo has lots more than ketchup.  However, if you look at the axis, they're plotting "billions of dollars."  I don't know about you, but I rarely buy my condiments in increments of dollars.  I buy fucking bottles.  Except mayo.  I don't buy that.

So how much does a bottle cost?  Let's have google look that up for us.  I used real brands that have comparable name recognition.  To me.  Plus, these all nicely have various size options.


I don't have their actual data (apparently from this source, which I'm not about to spend $900 to actually read), so I pulled up the plot in the digitizer, and it tells me that in the last year of study, mayo sold about $2e9, and ketchup sold about $0.8e9.  Now pull out the stats, and assume you're buying the cheapest option per ounce.  This gives ketchup at $0.079375/oz and mayo at $0.18136/oz.  This translates to ketchup and mayo selling $1.0079e+10 and $1.1028e+10 ounces each.

"See, mayo still sold more, therefore is king."  Fine, that math didn't totally work out the way I expected.  However, think about how long these things last.  Consumer Reports says you can keep ketchup for six months, but mayo is only good for two.  I can't imagine a consumption model based on those facts that doesn't suggest more mayo is wasted than ketchup.  It doesn't need to be that much more to make up that difference in sales (10% more wasted mayo than ketchup will satisfy that).

Next, McDonalds.  They're not paying retail price for their ketchup, so big consumers like them are going to make the actual sales of ketchup skew higher than this estimate.

Finally, mayo is disgusting.  QED.


No comments:

Post a Comment