Saturday, October 12, 2013

Saturday: Adventures in Kailua

First important point: Kailua is basically a roughly equal mix of a) people who live in Kailua because that's where their family has lived for generations; b) tourists visiting someplace "out of the way"; c) some sort of hyper-douchebag pseudo-hippies.

I'll admit, group (c) probably seemed extra prominent because I went to the WF that they recently built there.  "Where's your gluten free section?" "No, like, dude.  Dude.  You have to put that [six pack of beer, single heirloom tomato] in a bag.  I'll be careful with it.  Just put it in a bag."  "O. M. G! Look at all these apples!"  Fuck you, that's a shitty selection of apples, they just made a big pile of them.  My WF is probably half the size, but the produce section seems to have more stuff.  Not just big piles of the same stuff.

Part 1: Lunch

After deciding to head over to Kailua, I googled around to see if I could find some place to have lunch nearby.  "India Cafe"?  Sure, that sounds good.

It's really tiny inside.  I'm in the corner here.
I probably actually like Indian food more than I really think I do.  Or, in any case, the Indian food that's available in restaurants here.
Garlic naan, chicken tikka masala with potato masala, watermelon juice.
I would have liked more garlic in my garlic naan.  The tikka was a bit tame.  Knowing that, I'd probably ask if it could be spiced up more next time.  The potatos were delicious.  I may need to back-engineer that recipe.  "Potatoes slow cooked with cloves and cinnamon in a tasty masala" is all the menu says.  I'm pretty sure the salad is just there to make you feel better about having three starches in one meal.

Part 2: Ramekins

I never have enough ramekins, so I made the trip to Kailua specifically to go buy more at pier one.  $2.50 each.  Problem solved.

They also decided that they'd have those french onion soup bowls that I've been looking for for years, but I didn't get any.  They weren't on the shopping list, so I skipped them.

Part 3: Bowling

This was the other goal of the trip.
Shoes!




.
frame12345678910
.
1 71 07 X36 7/ 8/ 9/ 8/ 6/ 90
.
8 15 34 43 61 80 98 114 133 142
.
2 5/ 60 80 70 6/ 81 44 72 80 27
.
16 22 30 37 55 64 72 81 89 98


Hrm.  Yeah, that didn't really work as well as I'd hoped.  There should be boxes dividing things, and I don't see them.  Anyway.  Decent first game, increasingly bad second one.

Part 4: WF

I already covered my first impressions.  They have a larger meat case, but think they had higher prices.  Ground lamb though, so things kind of balance out.  The deli is hidden in the far back corner, which is even harder to find due to the fact that the back of the store has a series of shelves perpendicular to the rest, obscuring the deli unless you approach from the perfect direction.

Part 5: The Moon

It was out and shiny last night.

Part 6: Links


No comments:

Post a Comment