Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday: I'm going to blow through a lot of things I probably should have rationed.

It was telecon day today.  So:
If you draw curvy-up mouth bits, the cat looks smiley.  If you make them curvy-down, the cat looks angry.  If you draw one, then the other without erasing, the cat looks like it might puke.
I started out drawing the saw-tooth squiggle.  Then I started to draw a spiral, but got distracted.  Next, I drew a box and shaded the sides differently.  Then I decided to turn the squiggle into a stylized dragon, so I added an eye and tapered the tail at the top.  Now the spiral is the smoke coming out of the dragon's mouth, and the box is just...there still. I'm sure there's an art word for "thing that looks solid, but isn't, because it topologically equivalent to a line."  Maybe a math word.  "Topologically" doesn't seem like it shows up much in art.

Then I saw an article about kolaches, and went with the closest thing that's available here, manapua.  Note to future self: don't get the peking duck, as it's like 99% celery, and celery tastes gross.
Did you know that the tiny sliver crescent moon was next to Venus tonight?  Here they are above town.

  • Because I was reading it.
  • I realized after watching the video that these are basically cheez-its.  However, unlike those, these look absolutely delicious.
  • Nice job being a dick, wikileaks.  I think "actually getting shot in the fucking head" counts as persecution more than "hiding out while pretending you're some sort of messianic super-spy."
  • I stopped watching this interview on tonight's Daily Show.  Stewart just kind of came off as a dick.  Besides, I'm really not convinced that this is a super important issue.  Let's look over the wikipedia page on the law.  Ok, individuals have to buy insurance, or they have to pay a $95 penalty.  Businesses will have to provide insurance if they have more than 50 employees, and don't provide coverage.  That makes sense.  The penalty provision of that is delayed for a year, which isn't a great plan, but I don't see it as a major fault.  The individual mandate is there to ensure that the exchanges get enough healthy people to keep the premiums reasonable for everyone.  It's not a bug, it's a feature.  The general assumption is that businesses with more than 50 full time employees already provide health insurance, because not having sick workers is a good thing.  However, for those that don't, they have a year to get things in place.  During that time, workers without insurance should be eligible for the exchanges.  I guess I don't see what the problem is with the delay.  The individual exchange needs to have the penalty in place to ensure universal enrollment.  Businesses with more than 50 employees probably have a sufficient insurance base that universal enrollment for cost controll isn't a problem.
    • Or, you know, we could just do single-payer and skip all this shit, but that didn't seem to be anywhere in Stewart's arguments.
  • Mystery bear.
  • That kolache article.

No comments:

Post a Comment