Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday: President's Day!

Which of course means that I get to sleep in and relax all day instead of doing regular Monday-grade work.  I did plan on working on the spectrum code a bit more today, but never really got around to it.  I'm doing this post now so I won't feel quite so lazy taking a nap.  Then I'll work on it (for realsies).

I woke up feeling like I wanted a burger.  Unfortunately, this led to the worst experience at Burgers on the Edge I've ever had.  First, they were out of regular fries, so I had to get the truffled waffle fries.  Then, after sitting down, one of the girls from the counter came out to tell me that I couldn't get the Parisian, as they were out of foie gras. Damn.  That meant I had to find out what else to get there, since I've never gotten anything else.  I built my own burger, only to find that it had to have turkey bacon, because they were out of regular proper piggy bacon.  Basically, the entire lunch was a disaster.
Also these people were there.  I wouldn't normally post a picture of some random tourist family, but this was one of the worst families I've ever seen.  I was annoyed at them because the mom had to basically approve everyone's meal while ordering, and had to ask the workers questions about every thing she ordered.  Ok, fine, that's not worthy of public shaming.  First note how they're eating outside.  Obviously, that means that the birds are around, hoping for food to fall.  Second, let's be kind and state that these weren't the most careful of eaters, so they had lots of crumbs left around after eating.  Still, not a big deal.  What is a big deal is the fact that the one daughter thought that a game of "try and kick the bird" was a suitable thing to do after throwing out trash.  This wasn't just walking through a pile of birds and watch them scatter.  She was smiling as she intentionally aimed kicks at the closest bird, making odd steps to get closer to them.  The mom wasn't any better, as they were sitting there after finishing, and a bird kept landing on the edge of the table.  She flailed at it with the same anger, as if the bird was trying to steal her keys or something.  Maybe you shouldn't eat like Cookie Monster, slobs.

Anyway, food.  Here's the burger I ended up getting:
Wheat bun, BBQ sauce, sauteed mushrooms, Kobe beef, cheddar cheese, the aforementioned bacon, stewed apples, crispy onion straws, top bun.  Plus the truffled waffle fries.  The BBQ sauce was a bit overpowering, but this was a very tasty burger.  This place really does make the best burgers in town, and even when everything goes wrong, they still make something more delicious than any other place I've been to.  So, disaster, but a wonderfully delicious disaster that still beats every other burger on the island.

Also, don't truffle waffle fries.  One fry grabs all the stuff, and the others feel sad and lonely.

The real goal of the day was to go pick up malasadas, since tomorrow is Fat Tuesday (right?  if not, come back and re-read this section when it is).  I went to the place famous for them, which is conveniently right across the street from the burger place:
They were super busy, and I think going today instead of the more traditional day (tomorrow) was a better idea.  Now I don't have to fight the crowds that I'm sure will be there all day.
I picked up eight, which is probably way more than I need.  Two regular sugar, two cinnamon sugar, two haupia (coconut), two dobash (chocolate).  I had to taste one, even though I was still full from lunch:
OM NOM NOM!
These are very similar to paczkis I used to get in EL, as they're the same concept (fatty lard cakes deep fried to use up sweet and fatty ingredients before Lent makes people not eat fun anymore).  Biting into it when it's still warm makes you think about biting into a fluffy cloud.  They're a bit eggier than I remember, but that's not a bad thing.  Even though I got a bunch of these, I figure it's not so bad since I don't ever buy these regularly.

Since it's President's Day, I figured I'd put up some related videos.  First was one that showed up in my youtube subscriptions from the Onion.  I'd vote for this president any day of the week:
Next, a somewhat inaccurate rap about George Washington:


Finally, today's links since I've already finished reading all my RSS feeds.
  • This is a great idea, and if I wasn't so full, I'd be craving pizza.
  • Baby bunnies!
  • Last week, Julie posted this link about glue, which made me remember something that I was going to comment on.  Then today, I saw this vintage ad about dairy, and it reminded me.  Here's the wikipedia article that discusses the main point:  Elsie the Cow was Borden's mascot, and her husband, Elmer, was  used by Borden's chemical division as the mascot for Elmer's glue.  So, that means that while Elsie was making milk for everybody to enjoy, her husband had been shipped off and rendered down into the glue the kids used in school.  I think I have a tag for this kind of point....



No comments:

Post a Comment