Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday: adventure!

After a week of leftovers, I decided to do something different.  Manoa Valley Theater has been advertising seemingly during every show I watch.  Since I watch almost everything via DVR now-a-days, and that removes 90% of commercials, the fact that I've seen their advertisements so pervasively says something about how much they must have bought.

Anyway, I started with dinner at the ramen place by work.  I don't believe I have ever seen this place have more than six people in it at any one time, but today it was completely filled.  It looked a lot like they'd impressed the entire family into service.  Mom was waiting tables, Grandpa was clearing tables and setting up napkins, Daughter was running the register, and Young Sons were handing out menus and getting water.  Let's say that Dad was cooking in the back, but I couldn't see.


Part of the reason I like this place so much is that they have these wonderful combo deals: $10 for a mini ramen, plate of gyoza, plus an entree (unagi for me tonight).  Admittedly, the rice was overcooked and dry, and the unagi was a bit small, but balanced against the rest of the dinner, a smaller piece of eel isn't that bad.  I do wish they'd label the soy sauce and gyoza sauce dispensers. I always have to pour a bit out, and see which one is more red.

After dinner, I went to the theater, and was able to head directly in. 

Oh look, a playbill:

The play they're showing at the moment is "The 39 Steps," based on this movie, which is in turn apparently based on this book.  It's been redone as a comedy, and works well in a parody noir style.  Part of the humor is based on the fact that there are only four actors in the entire production, and therefore requires a lot of fast costume changes on (or just off) stage.  In any case, fun show, well acted, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Hmm...I just went to see if I could find the original movie on DVD, and discovered that it's available from the Internet Archive.  A quick wget later, and I know what I'm doing tomorrow evening.


After the show, I decided to get something snacky.  My original thought was one of those chocolate croissants, but the bakery closes at seven.  Instead, I went and got a pizzabird from McDonald's.

Ok, it's a M&M McFlurry, which contains neither pizza nor birds.  However, years ago, while helping with homework late at night, I mentioned that we should go get a snack.  Instead of remembering "McFlurry," or even "Those fake-ass blizzards that clown bastard makes," my brain came up with "pizza...birds."

And that has been the name my brain associates with them ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment