Saturday, September 17, 2016

Saturday: Getting up for lunch at lunch time made today rather productive.

But since the Koa Cafe place I talked about on Thursday closes at 2, I couldn't do my usual "get lunch around three" strategy.
I probably shouldn't have gotten the $9 bottle of juice.  It was pretty good, but not $9 good.
That wasn't what I was there for, of course.  I didn't wait in parking lot gridlock (before simply driving into an open space that no one bothered with) for expensive juice.

Gochujang chicken and waffle.
It was good.  Not the infinite good I had imagined it would be in my head, but realistically good.  The syrup is spicy too, so I think there's just the one gochujang/syrup mix used on both.  The waffle is good, and holds up against the chicken better than my last C&W experience.  I could have done with a bit more chicken, but that's probably always true.  I think this is a good place.  Parking is a bit tricky, but it's not impossible.

Then I came home, and indexed booked with that app I found.  I've covered all the books in my bedroom bookshelf (except three old books without ISBNs, that I will index when I get to the rest of that same series), half the pile of books in front of my main bookshelf (now far better sorted by size and standing upright instead of, you know, "pile"), and the top shelf of that main bookshelf (which was two rows of mostly paperbacks, which I've now converted into two rows of mostly paperback with an added half shelf on top of some of those paperbacks where they're all identical in height).  This covers 226 books, and somewhere between a third and a half of all my books.  I don't know exactly, which is part of the reason for this whole exercise.

One interesting feature of having all my books in a database is being able to look at trends:
Like when the books in this sample of my library were published.
This is kind of interesting to me.  Other than two glitches (I have one book published in 1994, and zero from 2012), I have had a roughly linear fraction of books from 1988 onwards, gaining about 7 books a year (or, scaled to the full collection, something like 14-21 books a year).  This kind of makes sense, as I have almost none of my "kids books" here, which would probably fill the early 80s section better (and increase the tail on the left, as I know a lot of those books were classic kids books).

One more library related note:  I'm very happy that the I in ISBN is international.  This means all the books I have from Japan and Germany that have proper bar codes just work.  No futzing around typing in numbers manually (I'm looking at you, crappy paperbacks with shitty bar codes), no searching for a plausibly consistent edition based off of a title (old books), no giving up and just accepting the first acceptable result (Thucydides).  I also learned that a book that's only "kind of old" may have a SBN, which can be converted by prefixing it with a zero.

And then I got dinner (although some of the indexing happened after dinner):

I decided to try their duck dip.  Braised duck, onion, apple, gouda(?), aioli, kewpie mayo (I didn't get that, although kewpie is better than regular mayo), cilantro (is garbage), and arugula (which got lost somewhere).  I then ordered french onion soup, which was dumb, because the dip is basically a soup itself.  The dip claims to be a Tan Tan, but it had odd flavors that reminded me more of a curry.  I wasn't sure of either by themselves, but together, the sandwich and dip worked well.
And I saw a really fuzzy dog:
I may have taken lots of pictures.
 And there was a good sunset.
See?
And since there were four Pokestops, I walked around the shopping center collecting things.  Plus three Ekans.  Aina Haina is an Ekans nest.

And then I bought some macarons, and took another picture of the sunset.



No comments:

Post a Comment