Thursday, September 8, 2016

Thursday: This probably isn't all of today's stuff, but I need to start getting through links, otherwise I'm going to have a link backlog until October.

Speaking of October, I should look to see if there's a Drawlloween this year.  It doesn't really feel like it's been a full year since then.  As of right now, this is the only calendar I can find, and it's overly detailed with all sorts of scenario crap I don't care about.  I just want "draw a spooky owl," or even better, "owl," as the prompt.

I'm also just realizing that my tag only has 28 entries, despite there being 31 days in last year's October.  I guess I'm going to have to search and retag stuff at some point.

Next up: In-and-Out burger.  To hear people talk about this place, it would seem to be the greatest food innovation in the history of the world.  When I lived in Santa Barbara for three months in the beginning of (I think, this is pre-blog, so I have to rely on "actual memories") 2008, I stayed in a room of a condo.  The lady who owned it went off on a 5-10 minute rant one day about how I-a-O was the greatest thing ever, and how I needed to try the burger "animal style."  Looking that up now, I'm glad I ignored her.  Gee, more gross thousand island dressing!  Great!

Anyway, I-a-O:

It's a burger.
I went with "double double, plain but for mustard, ketchup, and onion."  I believe the mustard died on the way back to its home planet.  Still, not a bad burger.  It had a good amount of grease, which is really the best way to make a burger not suck.  A lot of the fancy burgers I get at places like The Counter and Honolulu Burger tend to go with a too-lean mix, which after cooking has lost a lot of moisture and flavor.

I like the onion here in the middle.  It's a thin slice, but it puts the onion flavor out, without overpowering the rest of the burger.  This is a good idea.
The other good thing is that the fries don't become gloppy inedible garbage when they get cold.  Julie will want me to add that the fries aren't that great to start with, which is a fair evaluation.  They start off about a 70%, and after cooling drop to a 55-60%.  That's still something you can finish with some ketchup without feeling like you're eating crisco slathered cardboard.

So In-and-Out:  People should stop forming cults.

Links:






No comments:

Post a Comment