Friday, April 3, 2015

Friday: The Good part is that I didn't have work today.

I thought about brisket earlier in the week, and that reminded me that there's a BBQ place in Aiea.  Maybe I just got my hopes up too high, but I was far more disappointed in this visit to Dixie Grill.  Part of that is that I imagined that they had sausage as well, and they don't.

I was kind of surprised they didn't have Dr. Pepper.

Popcorn.

Murderous chicken.

Lunch.
Going clockwise:
  • Cornbread casserole.  This is tasty.  I'm not entirely clear what makes it a casserole, as it's really just cornbread with cheese.
  • Brisket.  This was cut by someone drunk.  There was also a lot of fatty bits, but not a good marbled fat.  Just a layer of fat on the outside.
  • Single slice of white bread.  Bread is expensive, I guess.
  • Pulled pork.  This was the best, as it still had a bit of moisture to it.
  • Mac and cheese.  This is m&c, so it's excluded from being the best, since m&c is delicious.
  • Turkey.  Dry.  Super dry.  It's also sliced thin, but then wadded up.  What's the point of that?  Is it to dry it out more?
  • Pastrami.  I'm as confused as you are.  It's not bad, since pastrami (see m&c comment above), but it was also super thinly cut and super dry.  This also would have been better with a thicker slice.
The first thing I noticed reading the new menu is that I thought they had more types of meat.  Rereading about my previous visit, they had five meats, and I correctly didn't get the turkey.  They only had the four meats this time, with the tri-tip and pork belly gone.  Again, I would have liked a sausage, but I like sausage.  Partially because they keep their fat and stay moist better than thinly sliced meats.  Pulling menu items suggests they didn't sell out of something, so maybe they're not as busy as they were previously.  After this visit, I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be back again for two years.

I covered the bbq sauces last time.  Pretty much the same conclusion.  Hawaiian and Texas styles work best.
















No comments:

Post a Comment