Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday: Slow news day

First, no calzone today.  I forgot to take one out of the freezer last night, so they were frozen solid and stuck to the plate.  Oops.  I'd considered parbaking them before freezing, but didn't do that (mostly because I wanted to be done cooking).  Parbaking would have kept the outside dough solid (unlike the raw state) without requiring extreme cold temperatures.  I'm hoping that they're thawed enough later (or tomorrow) that I can wrap two in freezer paper before putting them back in the freezer.  I got salad stuff, so I think I'm going  try to get two dinners out of each calzone.  That also means that keeping them in the freezer is the better idea.

Second, when I was in the UK, I kept seeing these chips everywhere:
Given that almost every place was also filled with Salt and Vinegar (who even likes those?), I decided to get a bag, turning down the equally interesting "Prawn Cocktail."  These were delicious.  They taste exactly like bacon, despite being totally vegetarian and containing zero meat (bacon or otherwise).  Hooray for chemicals and science, I guess.

Upon returning home, I saw these chips in the store: 
Side note: Walkers is the name that Lay's are sold under in the UK.  That's why the logos are the same.
I had hoped that they'd be similar to the smokey bacon flavor, since they clearly know how to make that (and bacon is super popular right now).  They're not, but they're also not terrible.  There's a "toast" flavor that kind of dominates, with little to no LT flavors coming through.  It's a bit disappointing that the UK has better bacon chips.

Third, this bear-y:
"What are you doing, strawberry? You're not a bear, you don't even have claws!"
"What are you doing, bear? You're not a strawberry, you don't even...no, wait, I guess you are a strawberry. Nevermind."


  • Photoshopped, but it raises a question: Why doesn't Nintendo license Pokemon designs to car manufacturers?  I'd buy a pika-car.
  • I still hate Ross Douthat, because he's dumb.  Besides, why would the Democrats take advice from someone who is pretty consistently shown he's against them?
  • Well, I don't have a third link today. Here's a song about tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment