Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday: Memory or processor

Today I found a bug that I can either fix by calculating a bunch of numbers twice (which is expensive), or by saving those numbers in a big NxM array so I can (effectively) do sums along both dimensions.  I'm fairly sure that the memory way is the "best" way to do things, but it's going to be a bit clunky.

Interesting trick I came up with today:  I have really crappy earbud headphones at work, and I travel with a better pair.  The biggest problem I've had is that they're identically shaped, so it's hard to figure out which is the left and which is the right.  This is doubly hard on planes, since they tend to be dark.  The solution: take the left earbud, and tie it into a simple knot around the cord to the right.  This makes the left cord shorter than the right, so by pulling to the end, the left earbud hits your hand first, so you know which one is which.  Problem solved, and it no longer requires looking at all.

Eh, close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment