Thursday, January 7, 2016

Thursday: Poster presentation day.

Also, birthday of the bestest dog of all time, Kimchi the dog.

The poster went well, with a lot of people coming to visit and ask questions.  I also met a grad student who had an adjacent poster that is doing what I did for my thesis as the next step of the project.  It turns out that my thesis code would be very helpful for that, so I should take some time to rewrite that code to make sure it compiles and works correctly.

Also my computer at home crashed, again, so I don't have links today.  Well, except for this link to a network connected power outlet, which I'm probably buying when I get home so I have a way to power cycle the crashed computer remotely.  I'll need to get a decent router to handle that, but that's been on the shopping list for a bit.

Here's what else happened today, in pictures.

While getting dressed this morning, this sock fell out of my shirt.  I seem to have stolen it last week.  Oops.

I don't remember the caption I was going to put here when I took this picture.  After taking this picture, I dumped a bunch of sugar crumbs on my keyboard.  Double oops.
 Then the rest of the day.
Another note from housekeeping.  Today they replaced my water and my soap, so today was a good h-k day.
 Even though I still have lots of pizza left, I went with "expensive hotel food" for dinner.
Bourbon beehive.
 What's in that?
Read the menu.
The sage adds a strong initial scent, which is soon diluted by the bourbon.  Nicely sweet without being cloying.

She-crab soup with cheddar biscuit.  Pretty much exactly what I want with a seafood based soup.

Ribeye with smashed red potatoes and marrow butter.  This makes the steak from a few days ago seem like garbage.  Super flavorful and tender, with potatoes that tasted like they had cheese in them.  I don't think they did, I think that was just the butter/cream/marrow butter making them super rich.
I was kind of hoping for a chocolatey dessert after all this.

But I was eating at the bar since there weren't any tables open, so dessert was Oban, neat.

Ok, technically, dessert was this ice cream bar I bought on the way back to my room and ate an hour after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment