Saturday, November 21, 2009

Stealing Julie's Idea

  • Stuffed mushrooms (shallots, garlic, and pancetta)
  • Sage bread (from my baking book)
  • Green bean casserole (I'll need to work out the cream sauce, as I'm doing it from scratch)
  • Mashed potatoes (stealing ideas from Giada DiLaurentis's version, by mashing, adding pancetta and parmesan, then baking)
  • Stuffing (I've established my sausages, and lots of shrooms and things)
  • Turkey (AB's brining/roasting method. I also bought a giant cooler for the brine, which probably wasn't the best idea for my small apartment, but it was the same price as tiny ones)
  • Apple pie (since I'm not really a pumpkin pie fan, and it doesn't make sense to make two pies for just me)
I still need to buy a bit more (I want portabellas and pumpernickel for the stuffing, and I need a nice extra sharp cheddar to pair with the pie. Also, I have no wine, so probably a Côtes du Rhône, maybe something to go with dessert), but I think I have the majority of what I need.

Unfortunately, while buying my pile of produce, I had the worst checkout guy in the world.  When you can't identify anything ("what kind of mushrooms are these?" "is this a potato?" "are these granny smith?") and need the girl bagging things to tell you that that slip of paper is a "coupon" and that it "needs to be scanned to work," maybe you should go back to stocking shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment