Monday, November 16, 2009

Sausage fest! Day 2!


Second set of sausages, the ones I picked up at Safeway today. The rest is the same as yesterday, although my pancakes were a bit stale. Still, not too bad, especially with the delicious real syrup. I thought up the shotglass idea last night, when I wanted some syrup, but without all the hassle of putting it on something.


As for the sausages, today's set were:

  • Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage. Not bad, although it was a bit overly sweet. I didn't really get the sage flavor, but this would probably be a decent choice for the stuffing.
  • Portugese...um...Hawaiian... Yeah, no idea. It's this sausage that's made here in Hawaii, but is labeled as "Portugese." Wikipedia tells me that it's probably "LinguiƧa." Anyway, it's almost exactly what I was looking for. It has a hint of spice, and all the garlicky goodness I was hoping for.
I'm thinking that for the actual stuffing, I'll do a mix, probably two parts Portugese to one part JD sage. I think another modification I'll make to the recipe I've used in the past is to convert the mushrooms into a duxelle instead of just adding them in fresh. This should hopefully cut down on the extra liquid in the stuffing.

2 comments:

  1. you're going to die of like a heart attack if you keep eating sausage every day. :-P

    p.s. I'm sad that you're using JD sausage in your stuffing. I should have shipped you some from the Lagrange smoke house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a pile of sausage in my fridge now, so I probably need to put it in the freezer (since I'm mostly sausaged out now).

    And the JD stuff isn't that bad. The "Dr. Beef's" one I had last year was better (and pretty much perfect in the stuffing), but they don't have that here, and it's like 2000 miles away.

    I think this Portugese one is the way to go. It has almost exactly the flavor profile I'm looking for, and I think the JD will support it well.

    ReplyDelete