Monday, December 8, 2008

Martha Stewart and French Toast



I've been looking at enamel cast iron pans for years now. The big problem with them is that they tend to cost a bajillion dollars. I decided that since I make the big money, I should probably get myself something fancy for Christmas. After looking around online and debating things back and forth, I finally decided on the Martha Stewart one from Macy's. The main component of this decision was the fact that Macy's has them on sale, so the 7qt round dutch oven I bought was only $80. That puts it at some crazy 43% off, and moves it from "excessive" to "good deal." Amazon has it cheaper, but I wanted it now.

The reason for that is that I think it's probably the best way to cook the lamb I'm making for the Astro Christmas Bash this Wednesday. The strategy now is to line the bottom of the pan with red skin potatoes, and use them as a "roasting rack," and have them cook in the drippings from the lamb. If it works, they should be super tasty.

As a test run, I decided to make French Toast, using the tasty Challah bread I got at the store. I used a simple modified version of the Betty Crocker recipe (it was the easiest cookbook to find):

2 eggs
1/2 c milk
2tsp sugar
some vanilla
some cinnamon
4 thick cut slices of challah
butter (of course)

Throw butter in the pan, and make it all bubble-tastic. Beat everything else together, and then dip bread in the mix, and throw into the butter. Fry about 5 minutes per side.

I fried up some sausage ("Dr. Beef's Sausage I Had in My Freezer") first, and then covered the French Toast in the maple syrup I bought at the Apple Butter Festival. Finish off with some apple cider, and nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment