Thursday, December 11, 2008

The 5 year isn't significantly better than the 2


Andrew asked me today if we were having an astro Christmas party. I guess this is the problem with arranging things in the past: everyone expects you to continue to arrange things. I had originally planned on doing so, but with Charles's thing yesterday, and me being generally lazy, I never did anything. I suggested that we could do something next week, and that in any case, the PA full department party was tomorrow at 2. Andrew countered that he was gone next week to work in Ohio (with collaborators, I assume), and in any case, Astro only parties are always better than PA full department parties. Because, as is a well known fact, physicists are generally lame.

So, while driving home today (in what could be a blog post in itself), I decided to stop and get stuff at L&L for rumballs. If we weren't going to have a party, I could at least add some sort of cheer for the last day of fall semester. L&L keeps all the liquor behind the service counter, to make you wait in line with Lotto Larry and Smoky Sally.

I checked when I first arrived that they had the rum I wanted, and was initially disappointed. They had a thousand different types of Captain Fucking Morgan, but no Cruzan. As I was about to give up the whole plan, the girl behind the counter said, "oh wait," moved her stool, revealing the line of Cruzan rums. However, once you exclude the flavored crap, they only the the black label 5 year at (750ml for $19). I usually buy the red label 2 year (at 1l for $13ish).

The 5 year is noticably smoother. The main flavors are the same, but the sharp alcohol bite is missing from the 5 year. It's definitely a better rum, but I can't claim that it's significantly better given the price differential. Hence the title of today's post. I also seem to think that the rumballs are better with the 2 year, as that sharp alcohol bite cuts through the chocolate more. We'll see tomorrow.

The title picture today comes courtesy of Julie, who sent it while I was writing this post. It wins the "most cutest squirrel picture evars" or at least the secondary prize of "most cutest squirrel picture today."

No comments:

Post a Comment