Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday: This week is five days long, and that's terrible.

I didn't think I'd have a picture for today, so I took this one of one of the stray cats near work.

But then there was a cool sunset.  I attempted to use the cage transform tool in gimp to smooth out the obvious break, but because the gimp is written by morons, I gave up.  Why are they morons?  Because after they switched to the "everything default saves to xcf because we want to prevent data loss," the cage tool doesn't prevent the data loss that can occur if you accidentally hit a button that switches the tool.  And it doesn't save the transforms it's calculated.  And it completely recalculates everything when any anchor point is moves.  Which is obviously wrong, as each interpolation introduces additional error into the final image, so you want to do a single resampling of the output pixel from the grid over the input pixel space, not N-resamplings.  It's mathematically wrong, and pushes for a larger input image to reduce the scale of the errors.  This means not only do you have to do N samplings over an X*Y image, which is going to be N*r*r times slower than doing one resampling over a rescaled X/r*Y/r image.  "Because it ruins interactivity." Go fuck yourself, gimp developers.

  • Go fuck yourself, H&R Block.
  • I assume this will play here, since we do seem to get all the GKIDS releases.
  • Also, don't bonds not work that way?  If you buy a bond that matures in thirty years, you don't get to say, "I need this money today, give me my money back."  You have to go find someone else, and say, "I need money today, I'll sell you this bond at somewhat less than face value, because I just told you I need money."  Sure, the Treasury could buy that bond back, but there doesn't appear to be any incentive to do that.  It would I guess put a downward pricing pressure on potential new bonds (because people could buy them secondhand from China), which would lead to an increase in interest rates required to make the new bonds competitive.  But of course that chart.
  • Health care.
  • Monica Rambeau.  I'm pretty sure this issue was one of the first comic books I had, and she was in it.  That's part of the reason I was glad to see her in Nextwave.







No comments:

Post a Comment