Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wednesday: I'm going to bitch about GIMP again

Mostly because I sat down to make this image:
That's me on the left.  This is why youtube has been extra fucking shitty the past month.  I'm getting a fifth what my neighbors are, and 1/15th what I fucking pay for.
So I was already pissed off, doubly so since I can't find anything with my fucking account number on it.  I pay using magic credit card payments, so I don't get paper bills.  This means I have no good way to figure out how to log in to see what's up with my account, and I'm sure if I tried to talk to the chat people, they'd ask what my account number is too.  So, again, already pissed off.

But I again ran into this stupid "oh, you have to export now, because we're gimp, and we know what we're doing better than you, and besides, you shouldn't even be using our high-end program for that, because it's too good of a tool for such work" bullshit.  First of all, it's pretty clear that the gimp developers, like those at gnome, have crammed their heads so far up their asses, they don't have any fucking concern for anyone else.  Second, this claim that it's the right way to do things because it preserves all the data.  No.  You want to preserve the data?  You want to make this motherfucker bullet proof?  Here's what you do.  Define a directory.  That's where everything goes now.  You open and edit a file.  Boom.  It lives in the directory as a super-xcf forever.  Everything you do is now saved in that file.  You resize it?  Nope.  You just saved a "resize 50%" operator on the processing journal.  Sure, you can have a current working copy that has that applied, but the original plus the journal are the only true representation.  Anything using a random operation?  That seed is written in the journal.  There.  No data is ever fucking lost, ever, and you can infinitely roll back to any revision.  Saving?  You fucking mortal scum never fucking save anything.  GIMP saves it all in the journal as it happens.  Then, (third point), if you want a copy of the image that you can fucking do something with (since despite checking the wiki page, I don't see "a goddamn printer" or "my fucking webpage" on the list of things that support xcf), you export your current working copy of the image.  We can now just call this "save," as the journal based super-xcf contains the one true version of the image.

Now, here's the best part:  if someone doesn't give a fuck about that magic god-image you've saved in the directory?  Just let them set that to /dev/null.  Now, it's either in memory and they're doing shit with it, or it's gone forever, scattered to the four winds.

Christ, why is it all these fucking software developers sit around and talk about "visions" when they could instead note that they're bitching about an already solved problem and move the fuck on?


No comments:

Post a Comment