Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday: Errandventure!

Last night, I turned on the bathroom light, and was greeted with the standard flash-pop of a lightbulb dying.  This time it was the main overhead light, which apparently was contributing the majority of the illumination in the bathroom, given that I've had two (out of four) burnt out bulbs above the sink for months now.  This prompted me to take a trip to Target to get various things (including light bulbs) that are cheaper there (like laundry soap).

However, first, I wanted to have some lunch.  Since Target really doesn't have much nearby that sounded good and was open, I had to expand my search to include the airport area.  That led me to Ninja Sushi, which had decent reviews, and would fit with my running theme of Saturday Sushi-day.  They have this nice cartoon:
Similar to how pizza places have meat lover's and pepperoni lover's, this place has ahi lover's:
Plus unagi.
which has five decent ahi nigiri, and four spicy ahi.  I would have preferred the spicy ahi to have a bit less giant chunk of onion, but it was still very tasty.  Their sushi rice is better than the place near work, and similar in style to the Kuru Kuru rice.

On the trip to lunch and Target, I noticed that the highway was a parking lot, and so after buying lightbulbs and laundry soap, I took the long way to WF.  Groceries were easy this week, as I mostly just needed some veggies.  This also covered the ingredients I needed for dinner:
Seriously, camera? Why do you hate the correct orientation?
Bangers and mash with onion gravy, asparagus, wedge of Cotswold cheese.  The WF bangers are good, with a nice fine grain.  They're a bit bland, but adding the onion gravy helped a lot.  I forgot to salt my potatoes, which was a major mistake.  I also know that Cotswold isn't an Irish cheese, so this isn't an authentic St. Patrick's Day meal, but I like Cotswold a lot, and it matches well.  I did come up with a good cooking tactic for the bangers that I think I'll be using for bratwurst and things like that in the future. My cast iron pan lives in the oven.  I preheated the oven, and when it hit 350, I turned it off, and put the sausages in the pan and let them cook quietly while I made the gravy.  Once everything else was finished, I turned on the broiler, and moved the pan up to the top rack.  The carry-over heat from the pan seared the bottom of the sausages, and the warm oven largely baked them.  Broiling finished it off, and kept the pan hot so I could quickly cook the asparagus.  This is going to basically be the dinner plan for the next few days.  I'll need to come up with something else for the end of the week, but I'm kind of thinking fish again for then, so I'll want to get fresh anyway.


  • I really like this idea, and wonder if I could retrofit my suitcase.
  • Squirrels are super friendly, and in all the times I went out and fed them, I've only been bitten once.  He didn't even break the skin, and seemed as surprised as I was when he bit down and got a finger instead of a peanut.
  • My initial thought was that this was a dumb idea to watch basketball, but after thinking about it, it seems like if you were planning on getting the surgery anyway, you might as well do it when you'll have stuff to watch.
  • I heard this claim yesterday on LRC (from David Frum, who of all the horrible right wing commentators, is generally the least horrible), and it seemed suspicious then.  It's nice to see the numbers worked out a bit to show that the ACA is still a good idea economically.
  • Interesting description of D&D 5th edition.  A lot of these complaints seem to be "that's stupid because it's not like 4th edition."  However, most of those things they're complaining about take the game back to how it was in 1st and 2nd editions.  I think that's probably a good idea, even if I'll never buy it.
  • Nom.
  • Texas is probably going to elect a crazy person as senator. :(
  • Oh, Tea Party. They way you don't bother vetting your crazy people is kind of horrible.  "Hiatus" is the best you can do? Not "sorry we hired a psychopath to be our spokesman?"

No comments:

Post a Comment