Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday: The Infinite Sadness of Zero Pastrami

I had planned on going to Whole Ox today, since they just opened this week.  However, my usual Saturday strategy of "wake up late, then go get food at places just before they close" backfired on me this time.  By the time I arrived (2:30ish), they were sold out of everything except burgers and falafel.  I'll try again next week, and hopefully get there sooner.  I did get a chance to look at their menu, which isn't as complete as I would have hoped (basically, no knishes).  It's still the first week, so I suspect that'll change.

As my backup plan (since I know that the Saturday Strategy isn't a very safe bet), I decided to go to Teddy's to get a more Hawaiian style burger.  My choice this week was Kailua style, which has grilled onions and mushrooms with swiss on a teriyaki burger:
Also cheese fries.
I think this was the best burger I've had there so far.  The teriyaki sauce adds a nice sweet flavor.  It was extra messy, but they had somebody coming around with wetnaps.

Since I'm way out in the Pacific, everyone else gets April Fool's day before me.  That's usually super annoying, as it means that the internet gets stupid and useless.  Cartoon Network has been pretty good about this, with the Screwy Squirrel thing, the mustaches, and other things that were actually funny.  This year, they apparently are replacing Adult Swim with Toonami.  This certainly takes me back to undergrad, where Saturday nights were largely the only night of the week that didn't involve piles of homework.  So let's go over what they've chosen to show so far:
  • Bleach. No one likes Bleach. It's dumb.
  • DragonBall Z.  The dub is really bad.  I'd forgotten just how painful that was.
  • Gundam Wing.  The best of the Gundams that I've seen, and holy crap, how is a used copy of this worth $200?  I wonder how much some of the other DVDs I haven't watched in a decade are worth.
  • Tenchi Muyo. From the recent third series.  Meh.  I had hoped they'd show the final episode from the first series, but they went with this one.  I've not seen it, but all the voices are wrong, and the story isn't that great.  Disappointing.
This is where I posted to get a timestamp for the day I wanted without cheating.
  • Outlaw Star.  I was actually just listening to music from this show this afternoon.  That's an odd bit of synchronicity.  This is another final episode, but OS was always a bit complicated, so without seeing everything else, this one is a bit jumbled.  I also had the opinion that OS was just a not-as-good version of Cowboy Bebop.  That's true, but since CB is nearly perfect, being not-as-good as it still leaves a lot of room to be good.
  • The Big O. Episode one.  It's a shame it wasn't popular enough for more than two seasons to be made.   Although some people claim it was needlessly confusing, I always thought that the style clearly made up for the difficult story.  I also liked the final episode, so you know, I'm the one.  
  • Yu-Yu Hakoshu.  Bleach is basically just this show remade, both of which are just DBZ remade.  Random people fight, a stronger enemy shows up, some of the previous enemies become good guys (if they're cool enough), and they team up to fight the stronger enemy. Rinse and repeat.
  • Blue Sub #6.  Probably one of the best soundtracks ever, with excellent animation.  It's an OAV, though, so that makes sense.  This also has one of my most memorable scenes, where the little girl they have running the sonar has to tell the bridge that they're surrounded (or something, it's been a decade since I've seen it, even though I also have this on DVD).  She peaks her teddy bear around the corner first, and then comes out herself.
I might go to sleep here.  I have Mythtv recording the whole thing, so I could catch up tomorrow.
  • Trigun.  It's Wolfwood's finale episode, which is a bit of a shame.  I never really thought as much of him as everyone else seemed to.  This is another choice that doesn't really make any sense if you haven't already seen the rest of the series.  The train episode or the shooting contest episode would have been my thoughts, as they have a lot more of the humor that really made the series work. 
  • Astro Boy.  I never really watched this old version.  I do remember catching an episode of the newer one once...
  • Gigantor. I never watched this either.  I do remember the theme song, as it was always the sign that I'd fallen asleep with the TV on during grad school.  For some reason it would always wake me up.  Maybe it's the bongos in the background.
They finished things without doing any kind of extra comments, which seems like a missed opportunity.  Of course, then they decided to show Screwy Squirrel as the very next thing on the daytime schedule.  Well played, you magnificent bastards.

Today's links.  I'm glad this Toonami thing happened, because I didn't really have anything that great.
  • Pasty-gate, or, how the Tories are only slightly less tone-deaf than Mitt Romney.
  • This made me laugh, but I make no assurances that it'll make anyone else do so.
  • Now you're just fucking with me, Amazon's used market.  I love that CD, but really?  

2 comments:

  1. Bleach got better and then they got stuck in endless fillers and didn't really go anywhere.

    Gundam Wing is better everything other than Gundam 00.

    Tenchi Muyo OAV3 was overall disappointing and very confusing. It was good to finally get a resolution to the story though.

    The Big O got more and more confusing, with a wtf ending. It probably didn't get more seasons because there probably wasn't any more mangas to animate.

    Yu-Yu Hakoshu was similar to the way Bleach started but Bleach eventually moved away from that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've grown out of fighting shows (bleah/yyh/dbz). Maybe I'm just not up to remembering what's going on with all the filler.

    I've not seem Gundam 00, but I haven't been buying much recently, either.

    I was happy with the resolution to Tenchi after OAV2, with the added benefit that Tenchi Universe was fun to watch as well (although I definitely had different choices for Tenchi between the two). I kind of feel like I should get OAV3, just so I can feel unhappy about it.

    Big O was great, and I liked the entire thing. However, I'm also a big fan of Chiaki Konaka (see also: Lain), so that may be part of it. I liked the ending. It's a "none of this is what it seemed, as it's all fiction" thing, and the fact that the closing credits show a world changed subtly is interesting to me. It gives the impression that Roger is rewriting things as an external actor.

    Side note: any thoughts on High School of the Dead? It keeps popping up in various things I read, and it makes me think I should buy the DVDs.

    ReplyDelete