Sunday, November 30, 2014

Sunday: Japantown and leaving.

Today was my last full day in San Francisco.  We never got around to some of the things to do here, but I'll be back for New Year's, so we can try again then.  However, Japantown sounded like a good option.

Since we were actually in Alameda, step one was getting to San Francisco via the Bay Bridge.

You can see the Golden Gate far off in this picture.

And here's downtown.  Why isn't the rest of San Francisco built into high rises?  Because they have really stupid building and zoning regulations, I guess.

Pikachu was here.

Japantown!
Peace Pagota.
There were also crepes (which I didn't take a picture of) and ramen (which I did take a picture of, but which I can't get my phone to transfer back so I can post it).

And then we stopped for ice cream, but I never actually got my ice cream, so I just had my Macau pudding.
Here are the things I've learned on this trip for use on future trips:

  1. The battery on my phone sucks, to the point where on this trip I'd take the phone off the charger in the morning, have it die during the day, charge it again, and if I didn't plug it in at night, would wake to it being dead again in the morning.  I'm thinking a Moto X is the replacement I'm going to go with.
  2. Doing the hotel the night before flying home means I don't have to worry about traffic in the morning.  Assuming this wasn't too difficult, it's probably the current best strategy for staying in San Francisco.
    1. Oakland airport might be located closer, but it doesn't do Star Alliance flights.
    2. Even if the internet is technically not free, you can usually get free internet if you have to wait in line.
    3. This hotel doesn't have conveniently placed outlets around the bed.  Even a few USB port chargers would help, and should really be a standard feature.
  3. I probably shouldn't buy books when I'm travelling with carryon luggage.
  4. Even though travelling with just the tote and lappy bag is nice and convenient, this was probably the longest trip that it would work on.  If NYE is going to run ~9 days, I'll probably need to bring my regular suitcase (or do laundry).
My ramen finally uploaded so I could use it.



No comments:

Post a Comment