Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tuesday: Stupid supercomputers.

So there's this supercomputer we use.  When I was setting things up, I had to chose a place to put the data.  I chose the partition that had 1.1 petabytes, assuming that would probably be just fine.  I know that things make lots of files, but we transfer everything back from the SC, and have been relying on the fact that there's a kind of "quota" system that deletes old files.  A large part of the set up was engineering a solution to that quota deleting files we weren't done with.

Then today I got an email telling me that I'm using 25% of that partition, and although that's in principle fine, the partition is getting full, so maybe I should knock it off a bit.

It turns out that I can make enough output data products fast enough to overwhelm the thing that's there to stop people from filling up the disks.  Oops.  Sorry, government supercomputer.  I'll clean things up.

And this was in the free pile at work today.  A German language poster for Princess Mononoke.

And no, I didn't take it, because I'm already super cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment