Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sunday: Why is finding a place for dinner always such a problem?

I spent nearly an hour and a half searching though yelp trying to find someplace to go get dinner today.  The biggest problem is that everything that came up was either someplace I've been recently, or was in a food genre that I didn't want to have (no yelp.  I do not want to go to one of the ninety Korean BBQ places you suggested.  I'm not in the mood).

Eventually after turning off every filter except "open now," I stumbled across Win-Spuntino.  An Italian place.  That does takeout.  It's like the place that I've been searching for forever since we don't have Fazolis.  They just opened a few months ago, so that explains why I haven't heard about it before.

It's hidden next to that Foodland that I always drive past to go get ramen, and there's always piles of traffic, and I wonder WTF half the island is doing going to Foodland.  Turns out there's a lot of other stuff in that place.

Like Doraemon.

So what's it like?  The whole place is tiny, like smaller than my apartment tiny.  They have a seating area, but it's mainly a take-out place.  This means that it's also a bit odd, because they have table service, but it really feels like they're working far harder than they need to.  I mean, I can see the pop machine over there.  I could just walk over and get my own refill.  I feel extra lazy when you do it for me.

They also play "Let's Praise the Fuck out of Jesus" music, which I didn't notice until I was in the middle of eating.  That's generally something I'm not a fan of.

But the food's the actual important thing:
Oh yeah, even for dine in, they serve it in take out containers.  This makes sense for two reasons.
That's their chicken parm, with the partially eaten garlic bread that came out first.  Reason two that the to-go contains make sense: no one is going to finish this pile of food, so it's ready to take home the leftovers.  Slightly spicy sauce, chicken that isn't dry and overcooked, garlic bread that could use more butter, but all garlic bread needs more butter.  So it's a good and proper chicken parm.

The only thing that makes this not a full replacement for Fazolis is that there's no small sizes or sampler, so I can't do the thing where I mix the alfredo and red sauces into a delicious pink middle ground.  It's reasonably close, and I can imagine stopping by after work, placing a to-go order, getting some groceries at the Foodland, and then picking it up after that and going home.

It only took five years, but I think I've found my Italian place.


No comments:

Post a Comment