Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thursday: Crunch.

Today was nearly super eventful.  I was driving home, and was behind a new SUV.  I could tell it was new as it still had a temporary license plate.  We got to The Worst Intersection Ever:
Manoa and East Manoa Roads.
We're travelling down East Manoa road towards the red dot in this story.  We stop at the intersection, and then the SUV starts going again, despite there being cars coming in the approaching Manoa road lane.  Those cars pretty much all slammed on their brakes, as did the SUV at the last moment.  I really thought I was going to have to call the cops to report a giant wreck.  The approaching cars had to swerve across the line to get past and onto Manoa road, and everyone eventually made it home safely.

But this is stupid.  This should be a damn roundabout.  There wouldn't even need to be that much construction.  Mohala way does cut all the way through to Manoa road.  It's dumb, but it's there.  If this was clearly signed as a roundabout, then traffic on Manoa road would all split onto the East Manoa road merge, people could turn onto Mohala or continue on East Manoa, or they could continue on the Mohala cut-through back to the continuation of Manoa road.  Simple, and it keeps traffic flowing, instead of forcing the traffic on East Manoa to wait for approaching Manoa road traffic.  I'm not sure there's another place in existence that would benefit from a roundabout more.

Except possibly the crap storm that is the Oahu/Manoa/Lowrey intersection.  It's a five way stop.  A five fucking way stop.  Roundabout.  There's enough road surface that it could again be added with minimal construction.
Then I got home, went all the way to my apartment, and found this note on my door.

"Please staff."  No.
It was super heavy.
This is a far larger book than I expected.
I'll have to read it when I finish the one I'm reading now.


No comments:

Post a Comment