Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lego Batman Disappointment


Watching Clone Wars reminded me of Lego Star Wars, which made me wish they would make Lego Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Video Game. That doesn't look too likely now, although there are Lego Lord of the Rings: The Video Game rumors.

All of these Lego Licensed Game: The Video Game thoughts reminded me that I never finished Lego Batman. Slap it in, charge it up, and I was off to finish up the last few things.

This is where things fell apart. The final thing I needed for "Hero mode" unlocked Hush as a playable character. I hate Hush. He's just somebody Jeph Loeb invented because he didn't know how to write any of the existing Batman bad guys as plausible threats to Batman. The Lego Batman version comes off basically the same. He has guns. He shoots people. That puts him on par with The Mad Hatter and Killer Freaking Moth. Except Mad Hatter can mind control people, and Killer Moth can fly.


So, Hush is a less scary version of Killer Moth. Killer Moth. That guy to the right? That's Killer Moth. He wears brightly colored striped tights to rob people. In a city with a Batman that has hobbies like "beat criminals until they wet themselves." Clearly, not only is Killer Moth scarier than Hush, he's either more insane or far braver. Either of which gives him a stronger case for being a supervillain.

Ok. Moving on.

The second thing that disappointed me was that the final thing I need to do to complete the game at 100% is to slide through five gates. However, I only get one try per attempt at the level, the gates require you to be perfectly lined up to open, and it requires a combination of sliding opening two gates, switching characters, moving into position to open the third, and then moving over to hit the final two. A mistake anywhere means you're screwed, and forces you to restart the entire level. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if I didn't have computer AI characters that insisted that snow plows work best when you push them into a lake.

I now remember why I stopped playing the game. I guess I'll have to be happy with a 99.5% completeness score until I forget how frustrating that level is.

No comments:

Post a Comment