Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Differential!

Made with the legos I brought with me grad school! It's the little gear box doodle between the big rear wheels. It all makes sense now: when it moves straight, the wheels turn the same direction, the gears lock up, and the whole box rotates with the wheels. When you turn the corner however, the wheels are free to turn at different speeds by letting the gears unlock a bit. So now my fancy little 4-cylinder fixed gear racer can go around corners without shredding the tires!

Well, assuming we ignore the fact that there's never going to be any compression with the pistons exposed. Also, that fixed gear system is going work like crap, since the camshaft and wheels are fixed at the same speed.

Whatever. It's legos, and I had fun playing with them again, even if I have to take it apart soon so I can get it packed away and moved to Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment