Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday: Burger and some useless math

The kind of math where you write the problem down, do the integral, and it claims to be zero.  So you plot up the function, and see that other than those two infinities in there, it's totally all positive, so it can't be zero.  Next step: numerical integration.  Nope, you need more samples to knock down the noise.  MC integrate it? Nope, same problem.  Determine simple scaling relations based on the fact that the you can see that there's a definite change in the function with the parameter you're not integrating over?  That looks reasonable, but completely disagrees with the numerical integrated results.  Throw it at maxima to get a solution?  That puts you back where you started, with the integral equal to zero.

But before all this, I went out to get a burger.
I could not get an in-focus picture of this burger.  Mushroom swiss, keep the lettuce, ditch the tomato, scrape off the 1000 island dressing with that napkin.  Forget to put mustard on it.

A smaller portion of truffle fries than the usual truffle fries.  I was still unable to finish them.
I had to wait longer than usual to get my food today, as some guy had brought his friends to watch him try to eat their King Kamehameha burger challenge:
It's like eight burgers or something?  I blurred faces because I may have said disparaging things about them on twitter.
This was how far he'd gotten after the half hour it took me to eat my burger. The fries and shake are part of the challenge as well.  I didn't stay, because I'm pretty sure he wasn't going to make it.  
I know food is all competitive now, but these things are just stupid.  Food should be tasty, and you should eat it because you like yummy things.  You shouldn't eat it because it's the biggest tower of food available.  Sure, I like eating lots of stuff, but when my tummy is full, I stop.

"Oh, don't mind me.  Just surfing on top of this Hokusai style wave. No big deal."

No comments:

Post a Comment