Thursday, February 11, 2010

I did totally intend to pay for it


Since someone's making me sound like some sort of stationery burgler, I wanted to tell my side of the story.  Way back in 2008, I had gone to the Barnes and Noble on Grand River for various birthday related book purchases, with the intention to stop off at Noodles afterwards for dinner.  I found a nice looking card, and then on the way downstairs to look at books, noticed a display of Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, which was on the list.  While going down the escalator, I tucked the card into the book, as it's easier to carry one thing than two.  After picking up my remaining books, I went to the checkout, having completely forgotten about the card.  I did not remember the card until I was sitting down at Noodles, eating dinner. 

It wasn't really theft, it was just a case of me not paying attention while checking out. Part of this stemmed from the fact that I believe I was also purchasing an issue of 2600.  B&N have a nasty habit of forgetting to enter 2600 into the computer system, so when you check out, they enter it as "miscellaneous periodical." The problem with this is that when they do inventory, that purchase translates to a copy of 2600 that was stolen.  Due to the archaic way periodicals work, at the end of the quarter B&N reimburses 2600 for the sold copies. The inventory issue means that these "stolen" issues don't get paid for, despite being a valid purchase.

TL;DR: I was paying attention to something else at the time, and didn't count my purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment