Friday, August 7, 2009

Roomba!

My Roomba arrived today. My old vacuum died inconveniently just before I moved, when the brush bearing seized up. I've been looking at these things for a while, and I bought one when Amazon had a fancy Gold Box sale on them.

My apartment has been getting messier and messier, as it's kind of hard to keep things clean with just a swiffer. This made it a perfect test for the vacuuming skill of a Roomba. Other than some difficulty navigating around everything on the floor (helped significantly when I remembered I had lighthouses), it did an excellent job. I now know what things it has trouble with (cords aren't a big deal, but rugs bunch up sometimes. Also: the chair in my living room is just an overpass on the Roomba highway), so I'll probably try to rearrange things to be easier for it.

The final thing I need to fix is to put the dock in a better place. It drove around for about ten minutes before I realized it was trying to go home. A quick lift, and it drove in and started recharging. The other problem is that even though the main idea behind getting a Roomba was so I didn't have to spend the time vacuuming, it's really cool to watch, so I'm not sure how much time it'll save.

I haven't set up the scheduling yet, but I figure cleaning MWF is probably good enough to keep things clean. I figure I'll see how it works after a month or so.

1 comment:

  1. 30 mm googly eyes, man. These will help your Roomba deal with carpets and chairs better.

    http://www.amazon.com/Glue-Googly-Eyes-5Mm-30Mm-120/dp/B000XZTP9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267108588&sr=1-2

    ReplyDelete