Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New apartment pictures!




I finally got around to taking pictures of my apartment. I'm not done yet, because I haven't figured out how to frame pictures of my bathroom, kitchen, and lanai. The basic floorplan is sketched out to the left. Things in black are walls, and things in red are doors of some sort. This is hawaii, so 91% of them are sliding doors. It's pretty convenient, as I don't need to worry about door swinging space.

The top picture is the view of Honolulu from my lanai. In the distance on the left is Diamond Head, "downtown" is towards the right, and as is probably obvious, the ocean is in the middle. Also on the right and left. Technically also behind me, over the mountains. It's an island, we've got lots of ocean around.

  • Living Room

The first view is of my living room from the front door. You can see the lanai, and all the boxes I still need to get the movers to take back. For some reason, I neglected to get a picture of the one chair that's to the left of the front door, so pretend you see it in that jaggedy black splotch.


This is the opposite view, from next to the kitchen door. This is a good shot to illustrate the "open arrangement" of my apartment. Since the living and bed rooms are separated by big sliding doors, I can open it up into a single large room. This also helps the airflow, since I don't have air conditioning. I really haven't needed it, though, since there's almost always wind coming down the mountains, through the bedroom windows, and then back out through the lanai. Also: there's some weird distortion in the mosaic. The area rug and the entertainment center are separated by maybe a foot at most. I should have caught that when I was making it.

  • Bedroom

This is the view from the bathroom door into the bedroom. For some reason, they thought walking to the bedroom from the bathroom via the living room was far too much work, so they added a second door next to the other one. This door can also be blocked by the two big sliding doors. You can see where Roomba has his garage. The one wonky leg next to it on the desk is not a mosaic distortion, that's the leg the movers bent. I still don't know how they did that.

I'm still trying to sort out what I want to do in my bedroom. There's a big empty space (or, there will be once I get the last two boxes emptied and gone), that I'm not sure what to do with. I can't really put any furniture there, as it would block all sorts of doors, and access to the closet. My best thought is some sort of small table or bookshelf. The alternate thought is to buy a bunch of Legos, and have that be the Lego Building Area. This is a snazzy bounce shot, taking advantage of the mirrored closet doors.

  • Closet

I spent far too long putting this mosaic together. There's still some bad joins, but I think it's pretty clear. This is what my closet would look like if it didn't have doors, using the magic of computers. You can see the pile of cardboard under my dresser, as the movers also decided that four legs was at least two surplus, and kindly broke the extras off. I'm trying to sort out where I put everything, so for now, a lot of stuff is just piled in where it fits. Since I don't have a closet in the bathroom, the shelves on the right are taking that job. I need to clean them up (those books need to go into one of the book piles I have around), and then adjust the shelves so that they're wide enough for all the towels and sheets and whatnot that needs to go there.


I'll probably do a second post in a few days with pictures of my kitchen. It's pretty small, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to get pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment