Sunday, August 2, 2009

Nom nom nom!


I was going to post about my apartment, and how nice it is since I've gotten all the boxes out of the way, but instead I spent the day finishing unpacking the last of my kitchen stuff. That allowed me a chance to finally sit down and cook for realsies again.

I only got a picture of the salad, as I was too hungry to wait on the rest of dinner. The salad was simple: romaine and strawberries, with a balsamic dressing and sea salt, pepper, and parmesan. The main goal of this was to see if strawberries go well with pepper (surprising answer: yes, very much so).

Julie was talking about a recipe for garlic studded baked potatoes she found somewhere, so I stole that idea. I spent far longer than I'd expected cramming little slivers of garlic into the cuts I'd made in the potato. I finally found the secret: don't try to stab them in, crush the garlic in sideways. I then rubbed the potato down with olive oil and salt, wrapped it in foil, and stuck it in the oven to bake for two hours (350ish. I know it sounds long, but for Yukon gold potatoes, the long cooking time helps carmelize the sugars).

This paired very well with the ribeye I got from Whole Foods last week. I put my cast iron pan in the oven with the potato, so it would be nicely pre-heated when I needed it. Salt/pepper/a pat of butter in the pan/cooky cooky cooky. The ribeye wasn't perfectly even, so I had a bit of a done-ness gradient, making the one side nicely rare, and the other somewhere around the well-done side of medium. While the steak rested, I made a quick sauce with a glass of vermouth, two teaspoons of this snazzy looking balsamic onion jam I picked up at Williams-Sonoma yesterday, and some butter. The sauce never quite thickened as much as I had hoped, something I'll probably fix next time by adding cream. Since it wasn't really the right consistency, I poured it into a rammekin, and used it as a dip for the steak.

All in all, a delicious end to the weekend. A dessert of some sort would have been good, but I don't think I have anything that quite works. I almost stopped at Godiva yesterday to get some chocolates, but the line people stretched out the door, and I'm not really patient enough to deal with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment