Friday, July 3, 2009

Force of July! Part IV!

I had originally planned on buying the Star Wars DVDs, blocking off a good chunk of this three day weekend, and watching them all, in series chronological order, in one go.

Unfortunately, this was before my furniture (and DVD player) decided to take a quick 3 week nap before getting on a damn boat. Oh well. Spike decided that I wasn't going to watch their channel if they didn't show Star Wars all weekend, so that's what they're doing. It's not a single run, and they're playing them in release chronological order, but sometimes you have to take what you can.

Watching Episode 4 made me realize something. Everyone in the movie, with the exception of Tarkin and Jabba are stupidly naive.

Rebel: "Hey, thanks Luke Skywalker for rescuing Princess Leia."

Luke: "No problem, it was fun, even though the guy who was like a father/mentor to me for at least two days got killed."

Rebel: "Yeah, that can be rough. Any plans?"

Luke: "Um...can I fly one of your fighters?"

Rebel: "Sure, got any space-fighter skills?"

Leia: "I'm sure he does. He shot down at least one TIE fighter when we were escaping. You've been flying for what, four, five years?"

Luke: "Um...yeah. Sure. Five years next Tuesday."

Leia: "Then it's settled, we'll give you your own fighter, and hell, you can even take my R2 unit with you. I'm sure both of these Very Expensive Machines will be perfectly safe with someone with your training. It's not like you grew up on a farm on a tiny podunk world where you were completely grounded."

Luke: ".... I hate sand."


I mean, they still pull it off, and it turns out Luke is great at flying something he'd never in his life seen before, but I'm willing to bet that's because none of those controls do anything. R2-D2 probably does everything, while Luke's inside flipping switches and jerking the wheel back and forth like a little kid.

I guess it's good that the Force was with that little blue droid.

No comments:

Post a Comment